Saturday 22 September 2007

Three Drunken Maidens

I learned this song from an old Planxty recording. Thought I could play it, too. Here's a part of my version. You'll find the words and chords underneath the video.



{t:Three Drunken Maidens}
{c:}
There [D]were three drunken [G]maidens Came [A]from the [G]Isle of [D]Wight 
They [D]drank from Sunday [G]morning Nor [A]stopped till [G]Saturday [D]night
When [Em]Saturday night came round me boys They [D]would not then go [A]home
Then [Bm]These three drunken [G]maidens They [A]pushed the [G]jug a[D]bout

Then [D]in comes bouncing [G]Sally, her [A]cheeks as red as [D]bloom
“Move [D]up me jolly [G]sisters and [A]give young Sally [D]room
For [Em]I will be your equal be[D]fore the night is [A]out.”
And [Bm]these four drunken [G]maidens they [A]pushed the [G]jug a[D]bout

There’s [D]woodcock and there’s [G]pheasant, there’s [A]partridge and there’s [D]hare
[D]There’s all sorts of [G]dainties; no [A]scarcity was [D]there
There’s [Em]forty quarts of beer, me boys, they [D]nearly drunk them [A]out
And [Bm]these four drunken [G]maidens, they [A]pushed the [G]jug a[D]bout

Then  [D]up and comes the [G]landlord; he’s [A]asking for his [D]pay
It’ a [D]forty shilling [G]bill, me boys, these [A]gals have got to [D]pay
That’s [Em]ten pounce apiece, me boys, but [D]still they wouldn’t go [A]out
And [Bm]these four drunken [G]maidens, they [A]pushed the [G]jug a[D]bout

[D]Oh, where are your [G]feathered hats, your [A]mantles rich and [D]fine?”
“They’ve [D]all been swallowed [G]up, me boys, in [A]tankards of good [D]wine.”
[Em]And where are your maidenheads, you [D]maidens brisk and [A]gay?”
“We [D]left them in the [G]alehouse, we [A]drank them [G]clean a[D]way!”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY nice! Please do post the chords. I would like to learn this one myself.

Floyd

Irish Bouzouki said...

Hi Floyd,

thanks a lot for your kind words. Here's a PDF with words and chords, very easy ones.

http://insel.heim.at/jamaica/320453/bouzouki_songs/maidens.pdf

All the best

Klickie

Anonymous said...

Please, can you re post the URL- the one you posted does not work. Thanks for a sweet tune

Irish Bouzouki said...

It works, I tried it. You can also go to www.fm-shabba.de and select the item Irish bouzouki. There you'll find some more songs with chords for irish bouzouki.

All the best
Klickie

Anonymous said...

That is great!
Thank you, sir!

Floyd (going off to practice...)