Tuesday 12 February 2019

Finger gymnastics by Vincent Fogarty

Some days ago I got in contact with Vincent Fogarty, a bouzouki player from Tipperary, Ireland. Some yeas ago he recorded an album with a band called The Red Wellies. It can be found here:

https://myspace.com/redwelliesirish/music/songs

or here:
https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/redwellies

or here:
http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/cg_red_wellies.html

At the bottom I will include some videos of the Red Wellies.


Vincent sent me some short video clips in which he shows some finger exercises. He kindly allowed me to post them here, too. Many thanks, Vincent!

He writes about these exercises:

These are exercises I did every day for about six months about 25 years ago. They are challenging but the results are well worth the work. The idea is to start slow and get the notes clear and in time. Keep your pick tight to the string don’t make your movements too big. This will do wonders for your pick and finger coordination. The exercises can be done as four finger three finger or two finger using any end of the fretboard as the start. Starting yesterday I’ve decided to do these again over the next few months. If you think they would be good to post then do so that’s fine by me. Good luck with them.

Clip No. 1



He writes about this clip:

In the first clip I have my capo at the 7th fret. I start with my pinky on the 15th fret of my highest string Start with a down stroke then an up stroke then down then up etc. alternating. Tab is. 15-14-13-12. When you get to fret 12 place your pinky finger on fret 14 then play from there in descending frets/notes. Tab 14-13-12-11 etc until you get to your capo. Then March your fingers back up the frets to 15. Then descend on the next highest string starting with your ring finger on the 14th fret. Pay attention to your picking here. Then descend on that string then the next string then the next string. Then you can start on the lower course and work your way high. 

Clip No. 2




He writes about this clip:

In this clip I play a four note exercise that moves vertically on the fretboard. When you get to the bottom series of 15-14-13-12 you put your pinky on fret 14 which moves your hand one fret then you descend vertically. When you get to the top 14-13-12-11 you place your pinky on the 13 fret and this moves your hand forward again etc.

Clip No. 3




This clip refers to video 2. Vincent writes about it:

This is what my right hand looks like. Start att of the exercises with a down stroke.


Clip No. 4




Vincent writes about this exercise:

This exercise is a linear moment that also descends and ascends.


Clip No. 5




Vincent writes about this exercise:


This exercise is good for developing finger strength and control of your pinky. It’s a two note run starting lower and ending at the fifteenth fret.


Clip No. 6



I did this as a three finger exercise. It also has a linear movement. I’ve also moved the capo to fret five so as to have more fretboard. As I move I also alternate fingers. Pointer finger ring finger pinky frets 689. Then I move too the next lowest string and use fingers pointer middle finger and pinky on frets 7810. I alternate this pattern as I descend and ascend.


Clip No. 7





Vincent writes:



Hi Frank the last clip is my right hand. I’m trying to show how tight I keep the pick to the strings.

The clips I sent will help with your speed but they are more so directed at pick/finger coordination.



The Red Wellies:

Here are some videos I found on youtube:


The Red Wellies play Dr. O'Neill's and Tom Billy's at a house concert in Atlanta:




Beanie Odell -Fiddle Duncan Wickel -Fiddle Vincent Fogarty -Bouzouki




Carter Center farmers market, freedom Parkway



A set of favorite reels:The Road to Garrison (composed by Maurice Lennon-also commonly known as The Godfather);House of Hammil (Ed Reavy);Hounds of Letterfrack (might really be Martin O'Connor's Clog)

No comments: