1 Oct 2026

Kitty Bawn O’Brien composed by Allister MacGillvray, played by George White

A lovely song composed by Allister MacGillvray. The story is set in a small village on the southern tip of Ireland during the 1800s and was composed for a project on Celtic emigration that was being prepared by Denis Ryan.


Lyrics and chords:

{title:Kitty Bawn O'Brien}

{subtitle:Allister MacGillivary}




[D]Soft blows the [G]wind both [D] sweet and warm

From the [G] peaks called [A7] Knockmeal [D]down,

The [D]songbird [G] sings his [D] weary [Bm]notes a[Em]bove Blackwater [A7]Sound;

From [A7]my heart  no [D]joys  de[A7]part‘s, no beauty can en[Bm]thral.

My[D]Kitty Bawn O'[G]Brien's [Em]gone to  [A]far off Montre[D]al.



I met her at the Mallow Fair where lovers sport and play.

I watched her feet move lightly while the piper droned away.

She sang a song so lilting there, her hands beneath her shawl.

Now Kitty Bawn O'Brien's gone to far off Montreal.


I followed her to Waterford the day the ship set sail.

Her mother let the teardrops fall. Her father's face was pale.

I kissed her ere I lost her there, and sorely I recall,

My Kitty Bawn O'Brien's gone to far off Montreal.


And far across the ocean wide, a world from Knockmealdown,

My Kitty shines like silver in some gold Canadian town.

She'll charm some young French soldier there; to blame him I've no call.

My Kitty Bawn O'Brien's gone to far off Montreal.

No comments: