Sunday 3 May 2020

Paul Brady - Wearin' The Britches - Chords

Paul plays greek bouzouki and sings this ode to traditional values with Andy Irvine and Donal Lunny in the Embankment, Tallaght in 1976.






And here he is solo with greek bouzouki from 1977.



Here's lyrics and Chords: Paul plays capo at 2nd fret

You'll find lots more tabs for tunes and songs on this blog here:
https://irish-bouzouki.blogspot.com/search/label/Tabs%20for%20GDAD

{t:Wearin’ The Britches}
{st:Paul Brady}


[Dm]Come all young men where e'er you be and listen to me lamentations
[Dm]I courted a girl beyond compare and I loved her with admiration
[Dm]At length in time she became my wife, 't was [C]not for beauty [E]but for [Am]riches
And [C]all the time it [F]causes strife, to [Dm]see which of us will [Am]wear the [Dm]britches


[Dm]O Paddy Kane it is my name, me height it is five foot eleven
[Dm]and Me wife is nearly not so big, she only measures four feet seven
[Dm]The hedges I have oft times stripped, [C]I've left them bare of [E]rods and [Am]switches
[C]Her skin with blows sure [F]I’ve turned black, but [Dm]still she says she'll [Am]wear my [Dm]britches


[Dm]Well I am a tailor to my trade, at cutting out I am quite handy
[Dm]But all the money that I make, she lays it out on tea and brandy
[Dm]Now sometimes I do shout and ball with [C]nothing going with [E]rogues and [Am]witches
[C]Her head goes oft times [F]to the wall, [Dm]still she says she'll [Am]wear me [Dm]britches


[Dm]One morning at the tea and eggs, content and sitting by the fire
[Dm]Well She broke the teapot on my legs, and left me leapin to retire
[Dm]How often do I shout and moan, as [C]I go hopping [E]on my [Am]crutches
[C]I wished I'd broke her [F]collar bone, the [Dm]day I let her [Am]wear me [Dm]britches


[Dm]So come all young men where e'er you be, don't marry a wife if she's enchantin
[Dm]For if you do, you'll be like me, with other men she'll go gallanting
[Dm]Now my advice it is to you, to [C]marry for love and [E]not for [Am]riches,
[C]And be sure of a wife with a [F]civil tongue, who'll [Dm]give you leave to [Am]wear your [Dm]britches.

Chords which might be used:

Dm  7000
Dm  2003
C     0232
E     0220
Am  2202
F     2300 or 2330

No comments: