Wednesday 3 June 2020

Tim Browne - Down By Blackwater Side

A lovely song here sung by Tim Browne, a singer and bouzouki player from Kanturk, Ireland. He just sent me his CD he made called Where Treasures Lay by his Duo called Cosamar. What a lovely CD. I really enjoy listening to it. So I searched for his other CDs at my home and found this song, which can be found on youtube too.

Tim can be found via this website: https://www.mosesbridgemusic.com
and here: https://www.reverbnation.com/timbrowne

 

I found the words of the song in his book"Stories in Song Vol. 1" which is available here:
https://www.mosesbridgemusic.com/store/p17/Stories_in_Song_Vol.1.html

I made a chord sheet to accompany the video:

{t:Blackwater Side}
{st:Tim Browne Version}

As [D]I roved [D/F#]out one [G]morning fair,
being [D]early [G]as I [D]strayed                             - Hammering-On over "early" D-String 0-4
It [D]being all on the month of [G/B]June,
the [D]binds sang in the [G]shade                             - Hammering-On over "birds" D-String 0-4
The [D]sun shone down right merri[G5]ly
and the [D]waters did gently [G]glide
Where [D]primroses and [G]daisies grow
down [D]by Black[A]water[D]side

I scarce had gone but half one mile when then by chance I spied
Two lovers talking as they walked down by Blackwaterside
And as he embraced her in his arms these words unto her did say
When I'm in America, I will be true, to my bonny Irish maid

When you are in America, those Yankee girls you'll find
And you'll have sweethearts of your own more pleasing to your mind
But do not forget the promises and vows you made unto me
Oh stay at home love and do not roam from your bonny Irish maid

When I'm in America those Yankee girls I'll see
But they'll have to be very pretty love to remind me of thee
There's not one bird in yon green bush or a flower in yonder glade
Which does remind me love of you, my bonny Irish Maid

It's many's the foolish youth she said has gone to a distant shore
Leaving behind his own true love perhaps to see no more
It's in crossing of the Atlantic foam their graves are sometimes made
Oh stay at home love and do not roam from your bonny Irish maid

And so these two young lovers, so fondly did embrace
Like honey drops all on the dew the tears ran down her face
Saying there'll not be a day while you're away but I'll visit still these green glades
Until you will return here once more to your bonny Irish maid

[D]: x000
[D/F#]: x400
[G]: 0520 or 0500?
[G/B]: 4550 or 4500
[G5]: x550

No comments: