Sunday 4 February 2024

Lindsay Straw - Lurgy Stream (Traditional Irish Song on the Bouzouki)

 Lindsay is a folk singer, guitar and bouzouki player based in Boston. She has released two solo albums and one album with The Ivy Leaf. Here's a video of her singing the trad song Lurgy Stream.

Her website: https://lindsaystraw.com

Bandcamp: https://lindsaystraw.bandcamp.com/album/the-fairest-flower-of-womankind


Lyrics and Chords:

When [G]to this [C]coun[G]try [C]I first [G]came,
my [F]mind from [C]love being [G]free
‘Til the [C]beauty of a [G]female [D]fair
it [C]so en[F]ticed [G]me
Her [C]cheeks were like the [G]roses [D]red
her [C]breath it [F]smelled per[G]fumed
Her [G]golden [C]hair [G]waved [C]in the air,
most [C]comely [F]to be [G]seen. It being a Monday evening, my love I chanced to meet I took her in my arms and gave her kisses sweet I asked her if she would marry me or single would remain And if she’d cross over the seas with me and leave sweet Lurgy Stream. If I would cross over the seas with you, I might be much to blame If I’d cross over the seas with you, and leave sweet Lurgy Stream Young men are false and general, perhaps you are the same You might leave me there to rue the day I left sweet Lurgy Stream. Oh, that the sun it may withdraw, no more to show us light And that the moon it may refrain, no more to rule the night That the twinkling stars they may fall down and never more be seen The day or the hour that I’d prove false when far from Lurgy Stream. Farewell to Letterkenny, it’s a place of sport and fame Likewise to Kilmacrennan that stands near Lurgy Stream Farewell awhile to sweet Errigal, likewise to Swilly shore Where I spent many’s a happy day, will I ever see you more?

 

By the way, here's another video of Lindsay playing "The bonny light horseman"

No comments: