Thursday 4 April 2024

Viimaheim - Medievial Folk Music on the Irish Bouzouki

 I haven't covered much medievial music on my blog. Mostly I'm into celtic music. This man captured my attention because I like his rhythmical style of playing. He tunes his bouzouki in ADAD, which I think most players of medievial music do.

His youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Viimaheim

Hej, Sokoły! (AKA Na zielonej Ukrainie) Slavic folk song Originally music by Maciej Kamieński

 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Drink Up, There's More! Game: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Project RED, 2015) Originally music by Marcin Przybyłowicz, Mikołaj Stroiński and Percival

 

Herr Manneling Scandinavian (Swedish) folk song 

 

2 comments:

Liaenis said...

As a beginner the tuning is a real question for me.
The "octave mandoline" GDAE tuning seems to be more focus on the melodic playing.
For now I sticks with the standard tuning but I don't realy see the point of the low G string. I have the impression that it is less used in many accompagnments, but I may be wrong. And I am petty new on the instrument.
The ADAD seems to have reals benefits in that regard, I am curious about the choice.

Irish Bouzouki said...

Hi Liaenis,
Every tuning has its advantages and disadvantages. ADAD is a real simple tuning. That is its advantage. Everything you play on the two low strings you can play on the high strings as well. But you only can play in two keys which mean D and Dminor (also Dmixolydian). If you want to play in other keys you have to use a capo, which means capo 10 for C!

GDAD is more versatile. You can play without effort in the above mentioned keys of D but also in G, C, and other keys without capo. The low G string makes sense if you want to play bass lines. There you sometimes will play a G (especially in key of G) The advantage in comparison to GDAE is that you can let the two high strings ring, that means you can play only on the two bass strings and play the high strings as drone. Someone once told me that the bouzouki is a drone instrument like the bagpipes or the mountain dulcimer for example. It may be a bit more complicated to play melody, but you will learn how to do it. Especially for accompanying this is the most versatile tuning in my opinion.

Hope this helps. All the best.