Monday 20 April 2020

Daoiri Farrell - Tipping it up to Nancy

This is a song from Daoiri's first CD. I first heard it from Planxty, but there are many versions of the song out there. In this version from youtube Daoiri plays it with such power...



You'll find lots more tabs for tunes and songs on this blog here:
https://irish-bouzouki.blogspot.com/search/label/Tabs%20for%20GDAD

{title:Tipping It Up To Nancy}
{subtitle:}

O there [G]was a woman in our town, 
a woman you aught know well, 
she [C]loved her husband dearly and 
an[D]other man twice as well. [C]Oh

{soc}
With me [G]right finnickinairio, me tip fin nick a wall
With me [C]right finnicki[G]nairio, We’re [D]tipping it up to [G]Nancy
{eoc}

Well, she went down to the chemist shop some remedies for to buy
"Have you anything in your chemist shop that'll make me old man blind?"

"Well, give him eggs and marrowbones and make him suck them all
And before he has the last one sucked he won't see you at all."

So she gave him eggs and marrowbones 
and made him suck them all
Before he had the last one sucked 
he can't see her at all

"If in this world I cannot see, 
it's here I cannot stay, 
I'd rather go and drown myself; 
Come on says she "I'll show you the way."

She led him to the river 
and she led him to the brim
But sly enough of Martin 
it was him that shoved her in

She swam through the river, and 
she swam through the brine, 
"Oh Martin, dear Martin 
don't leave me behind!"
"Yerra shut with that you silly ol' fool. 
You know poor Martin is blind!"
With me right finnickinairio, We’re tipping it up to Nancy

I've nine in me family, 
and none of them is me own, 
oh I wish that each and every man,
will come and claim his own


No comments: